Watsonville GMC Shoppers Preview The 2020 GMC Sierra 1500
As more people buy full-size pickups these days, the class keeps getting better. One popular model is the 2020 GMC Sierra 1500. This year, the Sierra 1500 gives Watsonville GMC shoppers even more to like, including a new optional turbocharged diesel inline-six powerplant. This engine was originally intended to debut on the 2019 Sierra 1500, but it was held up due to a delay in the certification process.
One thing’s for sure, the new Duramax diesel unit was worth the wait. While the competitors are offered with a V6 diesel engine, the 2020 GMC Sierra 1500’s diesel is a straight-six. While this engine is slightly longer than a V6, it runs more smoothly and generates more torque.
Buyers at the GMC dealers near Watsonville have six trim levels to choose from: Base, SLE, Elevation, SLT, AT4 and Denali. There are three bed lengths and three cab configurations. Here’s a rundown of the six engines on offer:
- 4.3-liter V6 engine that makes 285 horsepower and 305 lb-ft of torque, paired to a six-speed automatic gearbox
- 2.7-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that develops 310 hp and 349 lb-ft of torque, teamed to an eight-speed automatic transmission
- 5.3-liter V8 engine with Active Fuel Management that generates 355 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque, joined to a six-speed automatic
- 5.3-liter V8 with Dynamic Fuel Management that produces 355 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque, connected to an eight-speed automatic
- 6.2-liter V8 with Dynamic Fuel Management that puts out 420 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque, mated to a 10-speed automatic
- 3.0-liter turbodiesel inline-6 engine that’s good for 277 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque, teamed to a 10-speed automatic
Automotive Press Praise For The 2020 GMC Sierra
Autotrader wrote: “One of the great things about the current Sierra is its amazingly diverse model range. We think the sweet spot is in the SLT model ... Obviously, if you want more luxury, the Sierra Denali is a great choice … No matter which one you go with, you're getting a classy, modern, high-tech truck in the 2020 GMC Sierra 1500.”
Check Out These Features
Standard features on the base Sierra trim include a tilt-only steering wheel, a rearview camera, air conditioning, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, a 7-inch touchscreen, an audio system with six speakers, and Bluetooth.
The feature set increases as you move up the trim-level ladder. At the top of the lineup, the Denali trim gets unique adaptive suspension dampers, blind-spot monitoring, parking sensors, rear cross-traffic alert, and a Bose audio system with seven speakers. Available features for the Sierra 1500 Denali trim include a rear camera mirror, a head-up display and power assist steps. The Denali and the AT4 trims can also get an optional lightweight carbon-fiber composite bed that’s more impact- and scratch-resistant than conventional beds.
Anyone who pulls a trailer will appreciate GMC's available ProGrade Trailering System, which uses an array of cameras, tow mirrors, parking brake assist and an integrated trailer brake controller to make towing less of a chore. This setup is capable of displaying 15 separate camera angles on the center touchscreen display. Buyers can even get an optional camera that provides a view of the inside of the trailer.